Authentic Old West Touches Add Frontier Spirit to Your Home
Monday, November 28th, 2011
Here in the States, we have an undeniable fascination with the Old West. We recreate it in spaghetti westerns, preserve it in museums and pay homage to it in countless other ways. There’s just something about that part of our history—the beginnings of the American West—that holds our collective imagination.
It’s no surprise, then, that western looks are so popular in rustic home décor. Whether you want a full-on western room or a few frontier touches in your mountain home, authentic pieces like repurposed horseshoes and wagon wheels make for striking, elegant touches. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Horseshoes. Definitively western, horseshoes lend a rugged touch to a room, and serve double duty by expressing a love of horses as well. They also serve a recycling purpose by repurposing old horseshoes. You can’t go wrong with that.
- Lanterns. Old West-style lantern lighting elements, like this pendant, create the feeling of an authentic saloon as they cast light around your room.
- Vintage equipment. Perhaps nothing expresses the Old West quite as well as a genuine wagon wheel or antique saddle. These stylish elements add just the right touch to a room.
- Vintage-style furniture. An old style farm table in your kitchen will add a charming pioneer touch and be adored by your family for years.
- Native American patterns. Authentic Native American designs are, first of all, beautiful and colorful, and they also pay homage to the southwest. When you have the opportunity to discover the story and meaning behind them, that’s all the better. This wool bedding collection is a beautiful set inspired by Native American teachings.
A western look goes great in a cabin, and it also works for any home. Little—or not so little—authentic touches can bring the whole thing together with a sense of nostalgia and Americana. So enjoy your hunt for the perfect Old West décor. Let us know what your favorites are.
Category : Uncategorized